I needed a healthier alternative. But most importantly, it had to be quick to make. With this recipe, the rice is set to be ready in the rice cooker just before I go out. Boil the kettle to heat up the thermos. Make the egg mixture, spoon in the rice and top with the egg mixture. Ready to go!
Dietary Fibre 3g
Still very high in fat, but a better treat! I make double the quantities for my thermos, and eat the rest at lunchtime with a green salad.
Ingredients (serves 1)
85g cooked brown rice (1/4 cup dried rice)
1 medium egg
14g grated cheese
35g spam lite
- Chop the spam into 1cm cubes.
- If cooking to take to work, pour boiling water into the thermos, and put the lid on.
- About 10 minutes before the rice is cooked, melt the butter in a saucepan, beat in the egg, and stir in the spam, cheese and kimchi. Keep stirring until thickened but still very glossy and of a pourable consistency. Take off the heat.
- Pour the water out of the thermos, pile in the rice and top with the egg mixture. Close the thermos immediately!
- I find that, even after taking half out for breakfast, it is still pretty warm 5 hours later. Absolutely delicious!