Anyway, I was also in the mood for freezing some vegetable dishes, and so one of the things I made was this creamed spinach which freezes well.
75g shallot, chopped
1 tsp olive oil
150g half fat creme fraiche
1 rounded tsp ground nutmeg
good grinding of black pepper
Nutrition Info (for whole 500g spinach)
Dietary Fibre: 11g
- Wash the spinach. Pour boiling water over to blanch, then strain in a sieve. Press out as much water as possible.
- In a saucepan, saute the chopped onion in the oil over a medium heat for 5-10 minutes until golden. Add the freshly ground pepper, ground nutmeg, and stir in the creme fraiche.
- Mix well with the spinach.
- To serve, heat through in a saucepan.
- Freeze in small portions, or flat freeze in cooking rings or silicone cupcases then store in freezer bags in the freezer.
You could also make this with cream, mascarpone or coconut milk instead of the creme fraiche. If you don't want to freeze it, then yoghurt would also work well. To freeze, you need a good proportion of fat (...in the recipe...).